A blog to debunk the abundant myths out there about "healthy foods" and to provide a forum for us to share interesting things we've learned about health and wellness, as well recipes and tips for the kitchen.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

So, what can I eat for breakfast?

One of the biggest questions people have when trying to get off sugar and refined foods is what to eat for breakfast if they can't have cold cereal.  First of all, I must say that as a formerly addicted cold cereal junkie (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks -- you name it), I now see the light.  Cold cereal basically has no nutrition at all.  You may get some fiber in some of the more sawdust-y kinds, but that's about all.  When you read the labels for the nutrition info, you are usually looking at lists of added (a.k.a. "fortified") nutrients, which our body doesn't assimilate well.  Then, when you consider the added sugar, preservatives, and other artificial junk, you can see that there isn't much that is redeeming about cold cereal.

Green Smoothie

Instead, I would recommend that we eat real food for breakfast.  I now just have a green smoothie for breakfast, and it lasts me to lunch. Sometimes I add some protein powder (from veggie sources -- not soy or whey) to my smoothie if I want a little extra calories and protein to hold me over.

Hot Cereal

Otherwise, I will on occasion supplement the smoothie with other foods, such as hot cereal.  I like oatmeal (steel-cut or old-fashioned rolled oats--never quick oats, which are often processed), quinoa, brown rice hot cereal, etc.  To my hot cereal, I like to add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, fruit bits (cut up apple, banana, or other), nuts, a little coconut milk or plain yogurt, and a tad bit of sweetener.

Omelets and Pancakes

Occasionally, I'll have an omelet packed with veggies (my favorite includes spinach, avocado, mushrooms, and a little feta cheese).  I will also have whole-grain pancakes.  For me, I must do gluten-free pancakes, which I will post about later.  I like to grind up fresh flours in my Blendtec, like brown rice, quinoa, sorghum, buckwheat, etc. and then keep in my freezer for use in baked goods.  I make large batches of pancakes and freeze most of them for later use (like Eggo Waffles).  My son loves my pancakes (even dry).  I don't use any syrup on my pancakes, but instead put fresh berries and maybe a little yogurt (plain with vanilla and a tad bit of sweetener added), or if I don't have fresh berries, I defrost some frozen berries and blend into a "syrup" (with no added sugar) in my blender.  Strawberries are my favorite.

Granola

My most common (and quickest) "go to" for a few extra calories (and as a great snack) is homemade granola.  Now this is the "cold cereal" that we should all be doing instead of Fruit Loops.  I make a huge batch of granola (as you'll see below from the amounts used) and store it in my pantry for a week or two or in the fridge if I need to keep it longer.  Let's face it, one of the biggest reasons for our high consumption rate of cold cereal is mainly due to the convenience.  So, it's great to have the convenience (yet health benefits) with homemade granola.  Also, it is ridiculously easy to make.

I know many of you have asked for it, so here is the recipe I use (combined and adapted from various sources):

Delicious and Nutritious Homemade Granola

In a large bowl, mix:

8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raw wheat germ (I use freshly ground flax seeds since I can't eat gluten)
1 cup shredded coconut (NOT sweetened--get in the bulk section)
1/2 cup freshly ground flax seeds (whole seeds will go right through you without being digested)
2 cups chopped nuts/seeds (walnuts, raw cashews, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds)
2 Tbsp. cinnamon (and nutmeg, ginger, and/or allspice for change up)
1 tsp. salt

In a small saucepan, bring to a simmer:

1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup molasses or maple syrup (Grade B)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup raw, unrefined coconut oil (or at the least, light olive oil)
1 Tbsp. vanilla (or maple flavoring)

Stir well the liquid ingredients into the dry.  Put into two sheet cake pans (no need to oil the pans).  Bake at 275 degrees, stirring every 15-20 minutes until the preferred crispiness (around 45 min.).

Options to add fresh to granola right before eating:

-Raisins or other dried fruit (don't store granola with dried fruit in it or it will soften the granola)
-Freshly ground flax seed (for additional omega-3s as well as enzymes, which cooking removes with temps above 116 degrees)
-Sprouted raw nuts or seeds, such as sunflower seeds, almonds, or pumpkin seeds (for full nutrient potential, including enzymes -- just soak raw nuts in water overnight to sprout)
-Coconut milk (thinned with water and flavored with vanilla and a little sweetener--delicious!), almond milk, or thinned yogurt (plain with a little vanilla and sweetener added)

Variations to flavor:

-Tropical:  cashews, banana chips, dried pineapple, and ginger
-Cherry Bing:  almonds, dried cherries, almond extract
-Trail Mix:  peanuts, raisins, mini chocolate chips
-Orange Berry:  pecans, craisins, dried blueberries, orange zest
-Pear & Hazelnut:  hazelnuts, dried cherries, dried pears, vanilla
-Orange Pistachio:  pistachios, dates, dried mango, orange zest, allspice

Enjoy!

1 comment: